Although the process of determining a student's eligibility for federal student aid is basically the same for all applicants, there is some flexibility. You may qualify for an income adjustment* if:
- There is a death in the immediate family within the last year.
- A parent has become unemployed within the last year.
- Medical expenses were extremely high due to an accident or health issue.
- A parent becomes temporarily disabled.
- Parent or guardian died in military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.
*Note: Cell phone bills, credit card bills, prior debts, automobile payments, mortgage payments or any other personal expenses are not grounds for income adjustments.